2011 Annual Convention Recap
Workshop: Use of Technology for
Workshop: Strategic Planning in
Tough Economic Times
This year we held 24 seminars plus the Student Workshop. 22 of the sessions were approved for 1.25 hours of CLE credit each.
Continuing Legal Education session
Casual Up! for Breast Cancer
We all know someone or have heard of someone affected by breast cancer. One of the ways NFPA can help fight this disease is by using the privileges we have at our Annual Convention to make an impact in the fight against breast cancer. Friday, October 14th was casual day to help raise money for breast cancer awareness and funding for mammograms for those in need. It’s simple, fun, and a great way for attendees to become involved in something that saves thousands of lives. Proceeds went to the National Breast Cancer Foundation and Casual Up!
The dress code was relaxed for Casual Up! donors on Friday. NFPA-designed Casual Up t-shirts were available for purchase during registration also.
Included transportation to the Mall of America, Dinner, and attendees' choice of Mini-golf or a ticket to the Aquarium.
Honorable Helen Meyer
Minnesota Supreme Court Judge
Judge Helen Meyer earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work at the University of Minnesota. She earned her J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law and then worked for 20 years as a civil trial lawyer and mediator. She co-founded Pritzker & Meyer in 1987 and established Meyer and Associates in 1996.
Judge Meyer is certified as a civil trial specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and the Minnesota State Bar Association, is a past board member of the Minnesota State Board of Legal Certification and the Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, and has held leadership positions with the Minnesota State Bar Association and Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers.
Judge Meyer served for three and one-half years on Governor Ventura’s Judicial Merit Selection Commission, assisting him in the appointment of over 60 trial court judges and 5 appellate level judges. She was appointed by Governor Ventura as an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court in June of 2002. Judge Meyer took the oath of office on August 5, 2002.
Pro Bono Conference
The 2011 Pro Bono Conference was held on Friday, October 14, 2011, in conjunction with NFPA's Annual Convention in Bloomington, MN. The Conference included presentations by paralegals working on pro bono projects across the country, as well as information on how to start or enhance your association's pro bono efforts. Guest speakers included Erika Applebaum who is the Executive Director of the Innocence Project of Minnesota and Eric Cooperstein, chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association's Rules of Professional Conduct Committee. There were 1.25 hours of Continuing Legal Education available for Mr. Cooperstein's presentation - Real-Life Ethical Predicaments for Pro Bono Coordinators and Volunteers. This entire conference was free for NFPA members!
Elections, Awards and Scholarships
Congratulations go out to the following: (not listed in any particular order)
- Michael Wallace, RP®, winner of the 2011 PACE® Ambassador Award
- RoxAnn Mack, winner of the 2011 Individual Pro Bono Award sponsored by Kroll Ontrack
- Cleveland Association of Paralegals, winner of the 2011 Association Pro Bono Award sponsored by Kroll Ontrack
- Mary K. Hanson, winner of the 2011 Thomson Reuters/NFPA Scholarship ($3,000)
- Austin Brian Prendergast, winner of the 2011 Thomson Reuters/NFPA Scholarship ($2,000)
- Mariela Evora Cawthon, winner of the 2011 Paralegal of the Year Award
- Colette A. Lemke, winner of the 2011 Outstanding Local Leader Award
- Michele Boerder, winner of the 2011 William R. Robie Award
- Melissa Marquez Leslie, newly elected NFPA Vice President & Director of Marketing
- Theresa Prater, RP®, re-elected NFPA Vice President & Director of Profession Development
- Jessica Swedenhjelm, RP®, Pa.C.P, elected NFPA Vice President & Director of Membership
- Karen Santagata, RP®, re-elected NFPA Treasurer & Director of Finance
- Theda Yandell, RP®, re-elected NFPA Director, Region I
- Cindy Welch, RP®, re-elected NFPA Director, Region II
- Cherylan Shearer, re-elected NFPA Director, Region III
- Valerie Dolan, RP®, Pa.C.P, re-elected NFPA Director, Region IV
- Beth Bialis, NFPA Director, re-elected Region V
- The Minnesota Paralegal Association, NFPA Managing Director Dana Murphy-Love, CAE and NFPA Assistant Director Kaylin Rasar for organizing and executing an excellent convention!
Sponsors as of 9/21/2011
Beacon Hill Staffing Group – Badge Lanyards
California University of PA – Friday Luncheon
Globe University Minnesota School of Business – Student Workshop
IKON Litovation Solutions – Signage
Kroll Ontrack – Break
LexisNexis – Hotel KeyCards
Mall of America – General Sponsor
RSI – Social Event
Partners as of 9/1/2011
IPE – Education Partner
The National Law Review – Media Partner
Exhibitors as of 9/1/2011
California University of PA
Civil Action Group, Ltd.
CorpKit Legal Supplies
Impact Printing & Graphics, Ltd.
National Registered Agents, Inc.
Robert Half Legal
Shepherd Data Services, Inc.
Special Counsel, Inc.
The Mergis Group
Thomson Reuters ONESOURCE Trust & Estate Administration