History of NFPA
Eight associations come together to found NFPA®. Among the first orders of business are:
- A draft Code of Ethics.
- The establishment of a task force regarding certification.
Resolution passed that NFPA® will incorporate.
- Membership is now 15 organizations; nearly double.
NFPA® appoints its first representative to the ABA
- Executive Director hired.
- Membership increased to 27 associations with a total of over 6,000 individuals.
Definition of "paralegal" agreed upon. "Paralegal" and "Legal Assistant" deemed interchangeable.
Eight new member associations join this year alone.
Paralegals.org website established. Believed to be the first website dedicated to the profession.
- Resolution passes to create a foundation which will use the proceeds from the PACE® program for the benefit of not just the NFPA® but the entire paralegal profession.
PACE Registered Paralegal® certification program launches.
Term limits established for Board members.
NFPA® is now 55 associations, over 13,000 individuals, strong!
The Foundation for the Advancement of the Paralegal Profession is re-established.
Paralegal Core Competency Exam™ launches.
But wait, there's more...
Download the full History of NFPA document (PDF) for more information.
View the Past and Present Board Members and Coordinators page.